Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Dairy Free Rice Pudding

It's been a long time since I've posted a recipe. Tonight seemed like a night for comfort food. I needed (ok, wanted) something rich and creamy, but I'm trying to take off a few pounds I put on over the holidays. I adapted this Weight Watchers recipe to be dairy free. The original recipe called for skim milk, mashed banana and no cardamon. The points value was 2 per 1/3 cup serving. It came to 105 calories per serving. I would guess this version is slightly less.

1 Cup soy milk (or almond milk would be yummy)
1 Cup cooked rice
pinch salt
pinch ground cardamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Bring soy milk, rice, cardamon, and salt to a boil in a heavy saucepan. Reduce heat to a simmer and stir occasionally until the milk is reduced and creamy. (about 15 minutes) Take mixture off the heat and stir in the vanilla, almond extract and cinnamon. Let cool to room temperature and serve.

I took this off the stove and threw it into the refrigerator while I put the girls to bed. When I came back downstairs the pudding was cold, but it was still really good. I think this will make a really good treat for the girls tomorrow. :)

No comments: