Check out The Business of Being Born. You can rent it from Netflix, or go to 4 different showings in the Menomonie area the weekend of February 23.
This is obviously something that is near and dear to my heart. I believe that women should have options about where their children should be born and in what setting. Our bodies are made to birth babies and if left to their own devices our bodies do amazing things. The medical community is taking this power away from women.
Medical studies consistently show that for most women, midwife assisted childbirth is as safe as or safer than physician-attended birth. Midwife-attended women are:
• 9 times less likely to have severe perineal tears
• 3 times less likely to have postpartum hemorrhage
• 6 times less likely to have fetal distress before birth
• 4 times less likely to need help to start breathing
• 4 times less likely to develop an infection
The routine use of medical interventions such as induction of labor, episiotomies, electronic fetal monitoring and cesarean sections is the greatest cause of complications associated with childbirth.
Sources: Center for Science in the Public Interest, the World Health Organization, and A Good Birth, A Safe Birth, by Diana Korte and Roberta Scaer, 1992. General Questions